Monday, March 10, 2014

Committee Work, Step 1: Coordinate!

Most of my participation this past week was limited to working through Google Docs. It just figures that once the snow thawed enough for all of our committee members to feel safe driving, I would get food poisoning and be unable to make it to class!

Still, I think we made some good headway on our Feasibility Study; the Doc provided a great way for everyone to toss their ideas in and comment, even time-shifted. It's funny just how many ideas we all have, when we put our minds to it. Chris Byars, for example, whipped up a really great Vision Statement, something I had been at a complete loss as to even where to begin.

For my part, I used to write a Cheap Local Entertainment column for The Retriever (UMBC's newspaper), so I knew how to find all of the local event listings that we might want to post to. Ahh, memories--combing through listings on FindLocal, Patch.com, and lots of community calendars proves that people really do use such services to find entertainment, so we should take advantage rather than just relying on print news and paid ads. BaltimoreGreenWorks is even targeted to sustainable efforts, so it's almost a sure bet that people who follow it will be the type to care about the Filbert Street Garden. Besides, the more we can do for free, the better. I just need to put together a little standard piece of copy to paste into each such tool. (Not quite a press release, more of a blurb--the press release does need to be written too, though!)

One thing we learned the hard way, though, is that cross-committee communication is key. You see, we (mostly me and D'Arcy Placilla) had put together a basic Save the Date format in anticipation of the fundraising event. In addition to figuring out what information we wanted to convey, we had also kicked around basic design aesthetics. In our mind, the themes of growth, sustainability, and DIY-action would suggested a rustic and recycled look--something like this image from lovevsdesign, which I found through Google Image Search:

Little did we realize that the Events committee was planning a more gala-styled event! So while the info can stay the same, it's back to the drawing board for a more formal feel. *Le sigh* I'm thinking fancier fonts and white or cream cardstock with black or dark green ink. Maybe not quite as fancy as this emdotzee version, but with a similar feel:

Now we're in the middle of polishing off our Feasibility Study, and I'm still working on my Mapping Baybrook research. More on that next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment